WAVE Alumnus Joseph Okoro’s story: His Growth from Barista to Business Owner

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1N01_KFEjQ_HFR5BDJx4OAatBwxb6m1Cn
Joseph Okoro, an alumnus of the WAVE training in 2016 shared his story from then up until now.
Q: Looking back on your training in 2016, what was the most valuable skill or knowledge that you acquired?


A: Looking back now, I never thought that I needed to know the valuable lessons that the training taught me, but now they contribute immensely to where I am in the hospitality industry currently.
One of which is the paradigm change mindset; it means I am always willing to try new ideas if presented with better facts. This mindset has enabled me to try new things in my career journey.

Q: How has the training you received helped you in your career?

A: I would say that being able to work in a team and also alone without supervision is one of the ways the training helped me.


Q: How did the training prepare you for the challenges you faced in your career and how did you overcome it? 

A: Honestly the training was rigorous as most times I stood for long hours which as it turned out helped me be flexible with different hospitality business operations like working hours or style of service. It meant I could easily adapt to new environments or operations

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dHaWhab237koaB5twciDwPoLcvjHCtKp

Q: Can you describe a time when you had to use the skills you learned during your training to solve a problem at work?

A: There was a time I had to serve as a distributor for more than ten business outlets and supply daily items that were needed for sales even though that was not my role in the company.
Putting the success of the organization first drove me to help where there was a need.


Q: Looking back, what would you have done differently in your career journey?

A: That would be to have attended more training similar to WAVE in my career journey.






https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1uAgdNNXAncnj1SHxEKydS2eJEiWG3gNj

Q: What job opportunities did the training help you find?

A: I actually got the opportunity to with some of the leading coffee shops where I learned and grew from a Barista to a Mixologist now. It was a great learning experience for me.

Q: What is Joseph currently doing? 

A: Now, I run my own coffee and cocktails services for public and private events. I also run training for individuals or businesses that wish to learn about coffee making and being a Barista.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TikjotMqCyr47SH_cYeWmokjT2_p7LPm

Q: What is one word or experience that comes to mind when you hear WAVE? 

A: That would be "A Land  Of Opportunities”


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1xKamIQwT5FT5F5VqzZicJ4LUHrKWAc1b

Q: What advice would you give to someone who is considering enrolling in the WAVE training program? 

A: I would definitely pat them on the back and say “You would not regret this”. 

I encourage more youth to undergo the WAVE program anytime any day.

Q: WAVE is 10 this year. What's your wish for WAVE? 
I wish the team more strength and Spirit to continue doing the incredible work of truly empowering the youths of this nation. 

A: More growth towards amazing heights. Happy 10th Anniversary WAVE

No comments

Back To Top